Thursday, September 25, 2008

2009 Projects

As the 2008 boating season wraps up, it's time to dig back out that list that we all made back in the spring, the list of runs that we wanted to get on this summer. Some were a success and some were not. My biggest shutdowns this year were Texas Creek and Muddy Creek. We got chased off Texas Creek by some lightning, and Muddy Creek never ran, except for some multiple-thousand cfs flooding in August. So as always, its time to add to that list, and get some runs on it for next year. Although I have a lot of desired runs on my personal list, I have come across four runs in particular that look especially delicious for next year. The first one, Texas Creek, has been on the radar for a couple of years, but the other three I believe to be relatively unknown, and I'm almost certain all are perfectly ready for that initial first descent. Of course what kind of kayaker would I be if I spilled the beans prematurely, so I will give you just a taste and you'll have to wait until next year to see what it holds......




tcsmall


Texas Creek. There is a two mile long shallow gorge on the bottom of this creek just as it spills into Taylor Reservoir. It's mostly shallow, boulder bed with a consistent gradient. There are several small but notable drops in the upper half, but the lower half is almost all continuous cobble stoned rapids. We were ready earlier this summer, boats in hand and ready to drop in, but then the lightning started up......


ccsmall


Don't look now, but this one has already been featured in my Webshots galleries. There is a gorge proper on this creek that looks marginally runnable- in the class V/V+ range with some portages around logs thrown in to the already steep gradient. Still, the rock is lava bedrock and the water does get high, so gnar-fiends look no further. The two miles above the gorge, however, contains a long series of class II and III rapids ultimately leading up to the above drop- which ends up in the takeout campground directly above the gorge.


cc2small


The longest of the top projects, this one looks to be about a three to four mile trip through a shallow class III canyon. The beavers have been in here, and this stretch is quite popular with the fishermen. Still, it looks fun and the flows are more than enough. I will be surprised if this is a first d, considering a section of the Colorado Trail runs right alongside it. The only downside to this run will be access- the bottom of it's canyon is located on private land, requiring either a hike back up the creek after we're done boating, or a steep bushwhack directly up and out of the canyon onto some sketchy forest roads that may or may not be there.


scsmall


The one showing the most potential, this one is a shallow class III high mountain desert creek that drops through some lava rock rapids in a shallow gorge. I originally had intended to look at the creek below here, and much to my surprise there is a significant looking patch of white in amongst the meanders visible from Google Earth, but a lack of suitable access has me stymied. Like the above creek, the bottom of the canyon is located on private land and thus downstream exiting is not an option. So with a brutal hike in (6 mi to the goods), an unknown section of whitewater, and shitty exit options, the main stem will remain shrouded for a little while longer. However, in my lookings I stumbled across some photos of a feeder stream to the one I was looking at, and they look mighty fine. This creek is number one on my list, so stay tuned because it will likely go first!


I have other projects on my mind too, but none as good as the above. As I attempt to garner more information this winter I will post it, but for now the wait begins....

No comments: